Sunday, March 1, 2015

Overnight Oats: the solution to your breakfast quandaries

What is the most important meal of the day?

This is a question that causes serious debate in my house, so I would like to know, what meal do you value most?

Of course there is the old saying "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day" which I think is great marketing by the breakfast people. But is breakfast all it's cracked up to be? According to the "Breakfast of Champions" podcast from my fav Gastropod, breakfast isn't really "the most important," although that doesn't mean you should skip it. Instead, opt for a quick, portable breakfast that you can make ahead for an easy breezy morning. My absolute favorite recipe for this is Overnight Oats. I love it because it is super quick, easy, healthy, and very customizable! See a quick little recipe below:

Overnight Oats
A drawing I did of my oat jar :)

1/2 cup of rolled oats
Almond milk (or any kind of milk you prefer)
Fruit (this can be dried, frozen, or fresh)
Nuts: peanuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, chia seeds, flax, pecans, etc. 
Honey or agave nectar (optional, I usually leave it out. Remember: all sugar is processed the same way!)
Almond butter (or any nut butter) 

1. Layer all dry ingredients into a jar. I prefer this order: oats, nuts, fruit, almond butter

2. Drizzle honey over the top (again, optional). 

3. Pour in the milk so that it covers the oats on the bottom of the jar. I estimate this step, usually I pour until it looks like all the oats are covered. You dont want too much milk or not enough. 

4. Refrigerate overnight and enjoy the next morning with a spoon! The oats will have absorbed the milk and become soft and creamy. 

I'm telling you this only takes 5 minutes. I make it right after I eat dinner every night so I don't forget, and it saves so much time in the morning. Because when you're trying to make the bus, every minute counts!

If you guys try this recipe, which I urge you to do, then let me know how it turns out! Comment below or post your delicious creation on Instagram and tag my account @gourmanda_ and I just might repost it!!

Oh, I almost forgot, HAPPY MARCH!!

More,
Gourmanda

1 comment: