Saturday, March 28, 2015

Team FNV

On March 7th I watched the livestream of the TEDx Manhattan "Changing the Way We Eat" event. There were so many incredible speakers, I wish I was able to attend. I learned so many new things, was inspired by chefs, activists, and foodies, and my tummy started to rumble half-way through.

Although there were tons of outstanding ideas shared, one new campaign that really excited me was one that Deb EschmeyerWhite House Executive Director of Let’s Move! and Senior Policy Advisor for Nutrition Policy,  announced. It is called "Team FNV" and it is an ad campaign to promote fruits and vegetables because, "marketing works: celebrity-laden ads, billboards, you name it, they work." 

Here is a scary statistic: 98% of food related ads that children view (3,920 per year) are for products high in fat, sugar, sodium. If you think about it, there are no commercials for watermelon, or celery, or any fruits and vegetables. Just sugar cereal, sugary yogurt, and of course fast food. You'd think that advertising healthy foods isn't necessary, that people have enough common sense to consume what is obviously better for their bodies, but the stats state otherwise, and as obesity rates climb, it becomes apparent that if advertising is playing a role, it needs to be used for good, not evil. 


Would you buy more carrots if TSwifty endorsed them? I think yes
I first heard the idea of promoting healthier eating to kids from one of my favorite movies, Fed Up. Producers Laurie David and Katie Couric proposed an ad campaign targeting kids, but instead of promoting sugary, fattening fast food, they would advertise fruits and vegetables. I loved this idea, and found it to be a great way to get more kids to eat their fruits and veggies, so when I found out that it was becoming a reality, I was ecstatic!

I would give kudos to Hidden Valley Ranch because they have been promoting vegetable eating to kids for years, except that they're owned by the same company that makes Clorox, their dressing contains 15 total grams of fat, and they are not promoting veggies as much as their product. 


But anyway, back to Team FNV. They have already recruited an all-star cast of celebrities (sorry, no Taylor Swift yet) and have started to release video promos, but their real launch is yet to come. Even so, support this movement! Check out their awesome website and this great video!

More yummy things coming your way!
Gourmanda

No comments:

Post a Comment