Sunday, March 1, 2015

Meet Lunchie! + Kickoff of "A week of Lunchies!"

For a while now I have been meaning to post about my dear friend Lunchie and now the time has come! As you may have suspected, Lunchie is my lunch box. I know, I know I'm weird for naming my lunch box, but Lunchie is such an important part of my life that I felt it deserved a name.

I bought Lunchie at Target last summer because I was starting to really get into the idea of making my own lunch to bring to school. Not that we don't have an amazing variety of foods to choose from at my high school cafeteria, but I prefer to make my own lunch. It's just more fun!

I was inspired by a video that Bethany Mota (of Youtube and Dancing with the Stars fame) made called "Healthy Back to School Lunches + After School snack ideas!" which by now I have watched maybe ten times. I loved the Rubbermaid lunch containers that she had in the video, so when I saw them at Target I bought them and the rest is history!

I make my lunch every school night right after dinner. The same time I make my Overnight Oats. I love  making my lunch and breakfast because it makes me feel more organized and in control. A common internal dialogue that I have is: "I may not have known that a project was due on Tuesday, but at least I don't have to buy lunch!" 

The reason I love to make my lunch is the reason that I like to cook in general, because you can be creative! For me, cooking isn't about perfection, it's about experimentation and trying new things. I love  creating fun lunches for myself because then I have something to look forward to during the school day. 

So what do I actually pack for myself? My classic Lunchie consists of an almond butter and banana sandwich on wheat bread sometimes sprinkled with sunflower seeds or chia, sliced apples, carrots and hummus. But my lunch typically varies from day to day. 

An image from the movie "The Lunchbox"
In light of talking about lunch, I recently watched a movie called "The Lunchbox" about the system of "Dabbas" (lunch boxes) in India and how they have an amazing delivery system that delivers lunch to working men and women all over India! It was a great movie, it made me have serious cravings for Indian food and really want the cylindrical lunchbox that they showed in the movie. Look at the picture! How cool is that?! 

I think I just really like movies about Indian food. For my birthday this year I ordered in Indian food from one of my favorite local restaurants Little Kabab Station and then my friends, family and I went to see the movie "The Hundred Foot Journey" which was excellent. 

Anyway, I digress. So the purpose of telling you about Lunchie was so I could kick of a week-long Instagram event in which I post everyday this week what I pack for lunch so you guys can get a taste (haha, food puns) of what I bring for lunch everyday and maybe I can inspire you guys, if you don't already, to start packing your own luck, because it is a great habit to have. And if this week goes well, maybe I will extend it to a month-long event!

At the end of the week, I want to know which lunch you liked the best! Vote by liking my pictures on Instagram and the one with the most likes, wins!

Get ready for a fun week of awesome lunches!

More,
Gourmanda

1 comment: