Monday, February 16, 2015

Cricket Flour Pancake Recipe!

Hello and Happy Presidents Day to everyone reading this!

Today I will be revealing the recipe for my delicious cricket flour pancakes as requested by Aspire Food Group on Twitter! Get excited!!

But first I would like to share with you a cartoon from this week's New Yorker, one of my favorite magazines, it made me laugh so hard! Here it is:
New Yorker cartoon by Will McPhail
Isn't that hilarious? All right, now to the recipe!
This recipe is actually a combination of two pancake recipes, one from Bitty Foods and the other from the amazing cookbook The Family Cooks by Laurie David which I HIGHLY recommend that you all purchase!

Decadent Cricket Flour Oat Pancakes
A heart-shaped blueberry batch that I made for Valentines Day
Yields: 10 (5-inch) pancakes

11/2 cups of milk (can be cow, goat, almond, soy...)
3 eggs
1 tablespoon of maple syrup or honey
1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
11/2 cups of cricket flour
1/12 cups of rolled oats
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
coconut oil (for the pan)

Optional: Add-ins like banana slices, blueberries, nuts, or chocolate chips

1. Blend the oats in a blender until desired grain size is reached, I prefer finer grains, but whatever floats your boat! Combine oats in a bowl with the milk, eggs, maple syrup, cricket flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt and mix in an electric mixer until smooth. Let the batter rest for 10 minutes to let it thicken. 

2. At this time if you wanted to add anything in, mix in your fruit or nuts now!

3. Melt the coconut oil in the pan and let it heat up before spooning in your batter. Keep in mind that these pancakes are thick and that you will need to spread the batter around the pan in order to achieve a flat pancake.  Because these pancakes are thicker, they will need to cook for longer so cook and flip until both sides and edges are golden brown.

4. Serve with whatever fixings you want! I like to add clementine slices, banana slices, walnuts, ground cinnamon, and a spoonful of almond butter to top off my stack.

I just recently made a large batch of these pancakes and I have enough to have pancakes for breakfast for the rest of the week! Woohoo!!!

I hope you guys enjoy this recipe! Let me know how they turn out in the comments or you can show me via Instagram post with the hashtag #gourmandacricketpancakes. I want to see your beautiful stacks and I will repost all of your photos to my account @gourmanda_

Have a great Presidents Day!

More,
Gourmanda

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete