Tuesday, February 3, 2015

TIME Magazine Cracks Open the Labeling Shell/Vegetarian Considerations Brought to you by Buzzfeed

Image from www.ferretharmony.net
In their January 13th issue, Anita Hamilton, writer for TIME Magazine, wrote a piece about what the labels on your egg carton really mean. "Omega-3?" Your hen has been fed algae, flaxseed, or fish oil. "Cage Free?" Your chicken was probably living in a giant house, suffocating on the feathers of it's neighbor. This article is a very important one because we innocently believe what the producer wants us to believe, and that is not how it should be. I urge you guys to read the full article here.

Another brilliant thing that I came across this week was a video made by Buzzfeed. It showed some of their staff, who considered themselves foodies, go to a farms and go through the whole chicken raising and "harvesting" (slaughtering) process. As I consider myself a foodie, I really enjoyed watching this because it really made me question whether killing an animal for my consumption is a just and humane thing to do. I have been considering going vegetarian for a while now, and I have been slowly eating less meat at home, ordering tofu instead at restaurants, and cooking new Asian dishes that use tofu. I recently made a recipe that included firm tofu, enoki mushrooms, and rice that my neighbor suggested I make and it tasted amazing! I wish I had some pictures for you, but I will definitely be making it again, so you wont need to wait long!

I have been having so many snow days recently (not complaining!) that I have had a lot more time to think about what I am eating and also experiment with more sophisticated dishes.  It has been really fun, I wish I usually got this much time for food!

That said, the snow in New York is getting to be a little much. What did Punxsutawney Phil say? Six more weeks 'til Spring? I guess I can wait. :)

More,
Gourmanda

No comments:

Post a Comment