Sunday, February 8, 2015

Jiminy Cricket!

Last Sunday I ate bugs for the first time.

No they were not crunchy or bitter, salty or squishy. They were actually quite delicious! This probably was due to the fact that I was eating pancakes made from cricket flour (see previous post about crickets!), and not whole bugs, which I do plan on doing. In fact, if I was unaware of the fact that I was eating insects, I would not have known the difference!

I made cinnamon cricket pancakes with bananas, topped with almond butter more bananas, and almonds. They were sweet and savory, fluffy and nutty, a perfect weekend-morning pancake! I really feel that insects are the new frontier for American cuisine and that I am a pioneer by being the first to try it out.

That is why it was crazy when on last Thursday evening, I received an email from someone I admire very much. Cynthia Graber of the new podcast on the science and history of food, Gastropod, replied to an email that I had sent for Gastropod's giveaway to the first four emailers of cricket treats from Aspire Food Group. She said that she and Nicola (her co-host) had already chosen four lucky listeners, but that they had contacted Aspire and agreed to send a gift basket to me as well!! I will be honest here, I was so happy when I heard this that I collapsed on the floor of my kitchen and started to cry. Oh, teenagers! :) If by any chance Cynthia or Nicola are reading this, I would like to thank you again! I am so excited to receive my gift basket and will share my review of it on this blog.

Whew! So that is where we are in my adventures with crickets, stay tuned to learn what becomes of me after I O.D. on bugs and I will also tell you more about Gastropod and how much I love it!

As always,

More,
Gourmanda

No comments:

Post a Comment