Sunday, June 8, 2014

The New McDonalds Character is McScary to Me

Meme of new McDonalds character "Happy"

A couple days ago, my brother and I were watching TV, Nickelodeon to be exact, and I noticed a new commercial come on. It was a McDonalds commercial and it featured a new character that I did not recognize. My brother and I usually make a game of ridiculing ads, especially ones for fast food establishments, and we had grown sick of McDonald's campaign showing cartoon characters such as "Dina the dino" and the kid named Ferris who had a pet goat who "ate everything in sight" and was told, "Goat, you gotta eat a better diet, fruit and dairy, let's go try it."

When I saw this new character it immediately reminded me of the hyper-popular animated characters of the Universal Studios movie "Despicable Me" and its sequel. Yes, this food container character made me think of the yellow minions that we all love so much.

It makes me sick. It makes me sick that this corporation that caters so much to little kids. The fact that McDonalds incessantly advertises on kid's TV channels such as Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network is despicable!

In fact, this character was designed by the same people that animated the film starring the beloved "Gru." And this Happy Meal thing has actually been in Europe and other places for a couple years already!

Cartoon from the New York Daily News
I wasn't the only one that objected to this new face. Twitter went crazy when this character was first introduced to America calling it "McScary" and "McCreepy" for its toothy grin and large eyes. I agree with the good people of Twitter, but not for the same reasons.

More,
Gourmanda



No comments:

Post a Comment